16 September 2012 / leggypeggy

Toronto market named world’s best

mustard

Triple-crunch mustard and pretzels for dipping. Great treat!

St Lawrence Market was one of our first stops when we hit Toronto, and it certainly is impressive.

In fact earlier this year, National Geographic named it the world’s best food market, but I’m not sure what the criteria were.

As we arrived, a meat trolley was being loaded with stacks of enormous cuts, which we followed in the door. From there, it was a feast for the eyes and torture for someone (me) who wasn’t really able to buy.

Instead we drooled over the seafood and delicatessen items, and sampled several delicious mustards and the sensational icewine. Wayne and Leslie stocked up on two kinds of cheese curds for a batch of poutine, and some peameal bacon to go on the side.

So here’s yet another market I’ll have to return to when I’m actually able to succumb to the delicacies—and buy and cook some selections.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

1. Potsie / Sep 16 2012 10:11 am

It must have been very frustrating to see all that fresh produce and know you couldn’t buy it. Glad Leslie and Wayne were able to stock up, though.

• leggypeggy / Sep 16 2012 1:14 pm

It is so hard to be in a market and not have a reason to buy. Even harder when you see stuff you don’t know and would like to find out how it tastes and figure out what to do with it. The peameal bacon was a bonus.

2. Mama Cormier / Nov 9 2014 11:58 pm

I don’t know about being the best in the world but as a Torontonian I would agree that it’s the best in the city and probably in the country. Hope you have a chance to come back and sample some of those wonderful delights.

• leggypeggy / Nov 10 2014 5:10 pm

It’s an amazing market and well worth regular visits. I hope you get there often.

3. cookiesnchem / Sep 26 2015 10:15 am

Oh my goodness that is incredible! I’m only an hour from Toronto now and you inspired me to get the courage to visit. Thank you! Will update you if and when I do visit 🙂

• leggypeggy / Sep 26 2015 3:52 pm

It really is a fabulous market. I look forward to hearing about your experience. Be sure to take your shopping bags. 🙂