15 April 2013 / leggypeggy

Kookaburras come to call in Rosedale

Laughing Kookaburras

We get a lot of visitors at our beach house on the southeast coast of Australia.

Aunt Esther gave us a thick visitors’ book not long after the house was completed in the early 1990s. There are just a handful of blank pages now. Plus there are four shoeboxes full of homemade napkin rings.

I love cloth napkins, so get each visitor to make a napkin ring, using a cut-down toilet paper roll and lots of glitter, textas (markers), crayons and such. Then everyone gets issued a napkin that’s used for the duration of their stay. Note to self: do a picture parade of memorable napkin rings.

Laughing Kookaburra

That said, I can’t get all the visitors to make one. This pole house in the trees is a popular spot for all sorts of wildlife. We’ve seen kangaroos, echidnas, goannas, sugar gliders, possums and a whole range of birds.

This last weekend, two laughing kookaburras landed on our front deck. They popped in two days in a row and spent both afternoons chuckling and looking hungry. I admit that we fed them a bit of leftover chicken. I assured them that it would taste just like ‘snake’.

Besides being good laughers, kookaburras (also known as kingfishers) are carnivores. They usually eat mice, snakes, insects, small reptiles and smaller birds, but are also  quick to steal meat off an unattended barbecue.

Our visitors were still sitting on the deck railing the day I left to drive back to Canberra. I rather hope they haven’t stayed to peck away at the cedar window frames. As cute as they are, it’s still another offence they commit.

P.S. I was about a metre away from the birds when I took these photos.

1. Gary Walker / Apr 15 2013 2:21 pm

Kookaburras are mischievous birds from what I have read with a rather annoying loud song. In the US… I reckon the equivalent would be Crows or Bluejays. Those are mean and aggressive and very clever.

For our USA friends who may not have ever had the joy of hearing a Kookaburra… if you have ever seen a Tarzan jungle movie you know what they sound like.

• leggypeggy / Apr 15 2013 5:28 pm

Thanks for that Potsie! These two birds gave us a few good laughs, but mostly stuck to lengthy chuckles.

2. Louise Scrivener / Apr 15 2013 2:22 pm

Kings of the Bush – my absolute favourites…

3. Joanne T Ferguson / Apr 15 2013 4:16 pm

We wake up to the sounds of these silly buggas too! They are beautiful in the Daintree and in the rainforest …U-N-I-Q-U-E like YOU! WHOO HOO!

• leggypeggy / Apr 15 2013 5:29 pm

Thanks Joanne. We always hear them at the coast, but not always in Canberra. I love their sound.

4. Jo / Apr 15 2013 7:43 pm

Beautiful photography Peggy , such detail,

• leggypeggy / Apr 15 2013 7:47 pm

Thanks so much. I certainly owe my thanks to the kookaburras who stayed so near and posed and posed and posed. I took about 50 pics, but resisted posting them all. 🙂

5. Derrick / May 30 2013 7:06 pm

I think Kookaburras are great birds, and dam really clever, I had one that liked bacon rind, he would beat it to death then eat it, these are great alarm clocks as well
    But to be really honest my favourite bird in Oz was the king parrot (if you fed them regular they got upset if you were late and let you know about it)
    The Lorikeets are just so dam cheeky, its hard to believe they are wild birds (or supposed to be)

• leggypeggy / May 30 2013 9:18 pm

Yep, kookaburras sure love to ‘kill’ their bacon rind. I love king parrots too. We saw some at the coast last weekend, but I wasn’t quick enough to get a pic. Magpies are good and so are the galahs. Oh heck, I love all of Aussie’s bird life.