27 April 2014 / leggypeggy

A scenic walk on Australia’s South Coast

Mosquito Bay

Overlooking Mosquito Bay

We’ve had a couple of glorious weeks on Australia’s South Coast, marking the Easter and Anzac Day holidays. I’ll write more about Anzac Day another time, but I wanted to show you one of the gorgeous coastal walks we took during our stay.

near Circuit Beach

near Circuit Beach

I reckon Australia has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, and the South Coast has some fantastically scenic walking paths on the ridges running along the coastline.

Today four of us (and a dog) set out from Mosquito Bay, which is on the north end of the small community called Malua Bay.

I’m not sure how far we walked, but the booklet we use to find these walks—Coastal walks around Batemans Bay by Allan Tarry—predicted the round-trip stretch we did would take 110 to 140 minutes. We did it in 110 and stopped often to admire the views, take photos and let the dog have a run.

From Mosquito Bay we strolled on to Lilli Pilli Beach. There’s a bit of up and down and some roots to avoid, but overall a pretty easy walk. Then it was on to Circuit Beach. That’s another easy path except for the steep-ish downhill steps at the very end. Luckily there’s a rope ‘railing’ to hang on to.

Circuit Beach

overlooking Circuit Beach

Our last leg was to Wimbie Beach. While that stretch is classed as ‘difficult’, I couldn’t detect much difference.

On the way back, Libby and Daniel stopped for a swim at Circuit Beach. Poor John and I walked back to the car and drove round to collect them. Then we headed to Batehaven for a meal of fish and chips from Berny’s.

Australian South Coast

On the way to Lilli Pilli Beach

There aren’t any pics of the food, but there are some of the views. It was quite cloudy, so I might have to come back again on a sunnier day.

Oh, and a few words of praise for Allan Tarry. His booklet covers 39 walks between Pebbly Beach to the north and Broulee to the south. Sometime after it was published, a stretch of one walk was deemed to be on private, rather than public, property. Someone, most likely Tarry, updated every entry in handwriting.

1. weggieboy / Apr 27 2014 10:20 pm

Looks like a perfect way to spend the holiday!

• leggypeggy / Apr 27 2014 10:25 pm

Thanks weggieboy, It really is a slice of heaven.

2. David / Apr 29 2014 9:26 am

Just how I remember the topography from my visits, Peggy. Thank you and John along with Libby and Petra for your kind hospitality. There is no other way to put it than you are the most gracious hosts I could ask for.

My only regret is that I actually didn’t take these walks! So very beautiful and quite similar to the views I saw when going to Pebbly & Sandy Beaches. The hike down the hill to both of those beaches seems to be missing here though. I remember many years ago when Libby and I returned and somehow some leeches decided to like her and left me completely alone.

Some fond memories are of Barney chasing rocks into the ocean and miraculously coming up out of the surf with his rock! He was such a good friend. Petra at the time made the observation that hound chow was all name as if it was for your best friend with the following names I remember for sure: Pal, Mate, Chum, etc. and maybe “Friend” was one of the names of dog chow too.

Of course then there was Agador Spartacus, who could forget him since his handsome mug is emblazoned on the front page of this very blog! Oh how in the dog house he was the day in chose to roll in something we won’t mention at the beach. Even after Libby gave him a shower with sudsy soapy shampoo he still had a certain distinct aroma.

Lastly there was this dog who became ill while on a shopping trip in Bateman’s Bay that resulted in three days stay in the wonderful Bateman’s Bay Hospital. A geat place with a fine staff who did an excellent job of caring for the patient.

Bateman’s Bay was such a terrific source for fresh oysters and learning early on how to make them easiest to shuck was a great discovery. Nothing though could trump our evening dinner at sunset at that fine restaurant near the north end of the bridge over the river with the school of Dolphins who came leaping up the channel during our meal, our waitress letting us know there was no additional charge for the entertainment – what a sight!

Thank you for all of this and more!

• leggypeggy / May 1 2014 8:29 pm

Oh Dave, thanks for sharing all these wonderful memories. That dolphin show was such a great treat.

3. jeanleesworld / Aug 27 2017 12:33 pm

A beautiful bit of country here. 🙂 It makes me miss the quiet days of lake, wind, and leaves…

• leggypeggy / Aug 27 2017 2:13 pm

Our South Coast is so beautiful. Hoping to get there soon and enjoy slightly warmer weather than Canberra.

• jeanleesworld / Aug 27 2017 8:31 pm

Mmmmm, sounds wonderful. And good for your recovery, too! How are you feeling?

• leggypeggy / Aug 27 2017 11:12 pm

Thanks for checking up on me. I’m good.