13 November 2017 / leggypeggy

Winter comes to Iceland

Snowing in Iceland

On the way to the bakery about 8:30am

Icelandic bakery

A good enough reason to go out in the snow

There’s so much more to share with you about China, Mongolia and Russia, but I feel compelled to jump ahead and show you a sneak peek at Iceland.

We’ve been here for just under a week—staying with Mary Pat and Siggi—and they have ever-so-kindly arranged for us to experience our first proper snowstorm of this wintry trip. (There was a little snow in Russia, but nothing remarkable.)

The flurries began Thursday night in Reykjavik, and by Friday morning there was a thick blanket of snow. It was amazing to view the world from their third-floor window, but even better to join Siggi on a run to the bakery.

snow-covered car

Siggi’s car after 10 minutes out of the garage

His car had been parked in the garage overnight so didn’t have a single snowflake on it when we set out, but 10 minutes later it had its own coating of big, fat flakes.

It has continued to snow off and on since then. In fact, tonight the wind is howling and the snow is falling horizontally. I’m glad our sightseeing is done for the day.

So what’s the weather like where you are?

Snow in Reykjavik

An hour after going to the bakery

Winter in Iceland

Looking southwest from Mary Pat’s and Siggi’s flat

Winter in Iceland

A view to the west as the sun comes up

1. IreneDesign2011 / Nov 13 2017 4:57 am

Really beautiful winter photos from Iceland, Peggy 🙂

2. Mama Cormier / Nov 13 2017 5:19 am

Our weather here is quite chilly, actually below normal for this time of year. Funny because this time last week it was mild and above normal. We were suppose to get some snow but it was only a dusting and has already disappeared. North of us there is considerably more snow.

• leggypeggy / Nov 13 2017 7:34 am

So far on this trip the weather has been quite mild. Now we have winter.

3. Anthony / Nov 13 2017 5:21 am

Beautiful photos….I am one of those people who likes snow (of course I am headed to the tropics for a couple of weeks…..) but I will be back in time to experience winter.

• leggypeggy / Nov 13 2017 7:34 am

I like snow, too, but in small doses.

• Anthony / Nov 13 2017 9:13 am

There are no small doses of snow in this part of Canada.

• leggypeggy / Nov 13 2017 5:25 pm

There is a work-around. You can always leave the snow for awhile, so your tropical escape is a great plan.

4. wolfgangpowerpoint.wordpress.com/ / Nov 13 2017 5:29 am

Wir haben auch Schnee

5. beetleypete / Nov 13 2017 6:55 am

Very cold here, (in Norfolk) and heavy rain/sleet into the bargain. Nothing like Iceland though.
    Thank goodness!
    The UK cannot cope with such weather at the times it expects to get it, let alone in early November…
    Best wishes, Pete.

6. Dorothy / Nov 13 2017 7:19 am

Good opportunity to get some Xmas type photos for your cards Peggy. That is how close I like to get to snow(on my cards). I am having a lovely summer in Christchurch, with my solar taking good care of my power bill.

• leggypeggy / Nov 13 2017 7:36 am

Yes, Dorothy, it’s warm in Australia too. We’ll get to enjoy some summer—eventually! 🙂

7. Carol Croce / Nov 13 2017 7:45 am

Your photos remind me of winter in Wisconsin. Very pretty but I don’t miss it 🙂 Warmer here in Canberra but not as warm as you would think. Still under the doona every night and even pulled out the hot water bottle last week.

Liked by 2 people

• emmyrokke / Nov 13 2017 7:48 am

Hahahahahaha..did you read my post? Are you from WI?

• leggypeggy / Nov 13 2017 7:52 am

Reminds me of winter in Nebraska too, but glad we’ll experience it only for a short time.

8. emmyrokke / Nov 13 2017 7:47 am

Love the pictures! I’m from the Northern US but living in the south. I miss the changing of seasons and snow to come! Fun post!!

• leggypeggy / Nov 13 2017 7:55 am

Thanks so much. I’m originally from Nebraska but have also spent a lot of time in Wisconsin. Carol (above) has also lived quite a bit in Wisconsin.

9. forwardtogloryquartet / Nov 13 2017 7:50 am

Wow – it was my understanding that snow isn’t especially common in Reykjavik, but anything’s possible these days. I was there for Iceland Airwaves in ’09, and weather was like Seattle (as it is right now here, recent snow is gone). When Sandy and I were there in ’14, downright salubrious in Oct. The (wry) joke is that Iceland is the only place that welcomes global warming (!). If you can make it to Gullfoss & Geyser, well worth it!

• leggypeggy / Nov 13 2017 7:53 am

We’re told it usually snows between Christmas and New Year. Guess it’s special just for us. Have already made it to Gullfoss and Geyser—posts coming soon.

10. Popping Wheelies / Nov 13 2017 8:06 am

Stunning! We were lucky enough to spend 2 days in Iceland a few years ago. That was in September, and the weather was spectacularly beautiful. We were so warmly welcomed. Thank you for sharing the season few of us get to experience.

• leggypeggy / Nov 13 2017 8:08 am

My pleasure. Plenty more pics and news to come. I’d like to come back when it’s green! 🙂

11. Gilda Baxter / Nov 13 2017 8:07 am

I loved Iceland, Brian and I spent 9 days there on a road trip. We hired a camper van and travelled on the Ring Road that circles the whole country. I would love to go back there and see it covered in snow. I will look forward to hear more about your trip 😄

• leggypeggy / Nov 13 2017 8:09 am

We’re loving it too. We have 10 days, but the conditions aren’t right for us to hire a van. Maybe next time. Still have a blast.

12. paolsoren / Nov 13 2017 9:29 am

I took my young daughter for a drive and we had to turn the car’s AC on. And most of my shorts don’t fit from last summer. I prefer My weather a little less burning. But now I at least know where all the cold has gone. And it looks beautiful. Thanks Peggy.

• leggypeggy / Nov 13 2017 5:19 pm

We woke up this morning to a heatwave. The temperature is now 3°C. It’s raining and most of the snow is gone. Apparently the snow starts again tomorrow and continues for the next three days. Fickle!

13. Superduque777 / Nov 13 2017 9:48 am

14. gerard oosterman / Nov 13 2017 10:32 am

Snow was down to 800 metres here in sub-tropical Australia last week. We are still heating during mornings and evenings.!
    The photo of the Reykjavik bakery was nice and warm though.

• leggypeggy / Nov 13 2017 5:20 pm

We’ve decided we rather like Icelandic bakery goods. Went back to the same bakery yesterday for lunch!

15. Brian Lageose / Nov 13 2017 3:35 pm

So, you managed to change the weather pattern just by arriving in Iceland? That’s a really special super power. I might have to use that trait for your Brandy Leavenworth debut… 😉

• leggypeggy / Nov 13 2017 5:22 pm

Nice thought but I think the weather is totally out of my control. Today it’s warmish and raining, tomorrow it’s cold and starts snowing again. Trust me, I wouldn’t have ordered snow on top of ice.

• Brian Lageose / Nov 13 2017 5:46 pm

So you’re saying that you don’t want your character to have a superpower? Or that you want a DIFFERENT superpower? 😉

• leggypeggy / Nov 13 2017 6:05 pm

I’m happy to have any superpower. You just need to know that I’m not really controlling the weather one.

16. thesleepydriver / Nov 13 2017 4:28 pm

You have just stolen my bucket list itinerary i think. Looks amazing, Iceland is very much on our radar👍🏻

• leggypeggy / Nov 13 2017 5:23 pm

You are most welcome to share the bucket list. Iceland is wonderful! 🙂

17. thewonderer86 / Nov 13 2017 5:37 pm

The snow makes everything look so beautiful.

Liked by 2 people

18. Andrew Petcher / Nov 13 2017 7:11 pm

Wonderful. In three visits to Iceland I have never seen a single snowflake!

• leggypeggy / Nov 13 2017 8:30 pm

Bummer. I’m told you should try the week between Christmas and New Year.

19. Sharon Bonin-Pratt / Nov 13 2017 7:15 pm

That looks very cold! But the austere beauty makes me want to linger over the photos.

• leggypeggy / Nov 13 2017 8:30 pm

It was cold but not windy, which made a huge difference. Today is fiercely windy.

20. Phyllis / Nov 13 2017 7:42 pm

Oh dear! It is always a shock. The good thing is that Iceland is cheaper in the winter however booze is expensive (50% tax.). I hope you still head to some volcanic hot springs-should make some interesting pictures! We didn’t get to see any Northern Lights last year in October so maybe you will have better luck. You must be experiencing very short hours of light during the day as well. You will have to find a cookbook with some of Iceland’s famous lamb stew and publish it on your blog for us! Have fun.

• leggypeggy / Nov 13 2017 8:32 pm

We’ve been to the geyser and glacial lagoon and seen the Northern Lights. All fascinating. And you’re right. Iceland is expensive.

21. Osyth / Nov 13 2017 9:40 pm

And that is exactly why on our list of must-haves for the forever home, after ‘enough land to surround us and not be bothered by neighbors’ and ‘house at least 150 years old’ it says ‘snow. We must have snow every winter and no doubt that we will’ …. gorgeous!

• leggypeggy / Nov 14 2017 2:02 am

Snow is gorgeous. But here’s today’s catch—it rained all last night and now the snow is gone and ice is left. More snow is predicted. Oh wait, I just looked out the window and the snow is back!

22. Yeah, Another Blogger / Nov 13 2017 10:54 pm

Stay warm!

23. The Whitechapel Whelk / Nov 14 2017 12:26 am

Very nice. May I call you, Pegleg? Serious question.
    Incidentally, your blog is one of the very few I actually read. Our secret ok, Pegleg? 🙂

• leggypeggy / Nov 14 2017 2:03 am

Of course you can call me Pegleg. Pegster works too, as does Legz! I read your blog too. Shhhhh!

• The Whitechapel Whelk / Nov 14 2017 3:31 am

You read our blog?! You crazy young fool!!!
        Pegleg it is then. It has that nautical connotation so in keeping with your wandering spirit. AVAST BEHIND!! But that’s enough about our sub editor…

• leggypeggy / Nov 14 2017 7:50 am

Yes, you and Sozzle keep me amused.

24. Robert Parker / Nov 14 2017 1:53 am

Is it a geothermal bakery? 🙂 I’ve read about “volcano bread” in a couple of history books, I guess people are still doing it there as a curiosity (?) In any case, that bakery looks great, and like the place for me! Here in Boston, we’re soaring to 7 C.

• leggypeggy / Nov 14 2017 2:06 am

If it’s a geothermal bakery, they don’t advertise it as such. Pity as that would be super cool. I assume you know that I bake all our bread. I’ve made two loaves here in Iceland and have promised to make more tomorrow. Perhaps bread could lure you to Australia?

• Robert Parker / Nov 14 2017 2:12 am

Yes! I will go a long ways for good bread, many days I could live very happily on it. My sister and I will go home for the holidays and she always makes black bread, looking forward to it.

• leggypeggy / Nov 14 2017 3:10 am

May your holidays come soon.

25. pvcann / Nov 14 2017 2:13 am

So the name does ring true – Iceland. looks wonderful.

26. Sy S. / Nov 14 2017 2:25 am

Hello LegZ/PegZ,

Wonderful that you have friends in Iceland and they are able to show you around. I visited Iceland in Oct 1971 and at the airport the winds were unimaginable, I was walking at a 45 Degree angle LOL against the wind. No snow but cloudy. I understand that the temperatures and snow is similar to NYC weather… and not very “ICY” as the country name implies. Nice photos of the snow and great that you got to see the “Northern Lights” for a second time. Any photos of youngish good looken blondes swimming in the thermo outdoor pools? A hot bowl of Chanterelle Soup is in order… along with the baked goods.

• leggypeggy / Nov 14 2017 3:12 am

It’s been incredibly windy today. Nearly got blown over! Sorry but no photos of youngish good looking blondes. We didn’t make it to the thermo outdoor pools. Maybe next time.

27. lexklein / Nov 14 2017 2:44 am

I’ve always wanted to go to Iceland in the middle of the winter! Sounds strange coming from a person who intensely dislikes the cold, but like Russia and much of Scandinavia, Iceland knows how to make things cozy in those long, dark days, and I’d love to hunker down in a coffeeshop or bar in Reykjavik for a day or two!

28. In My Cluttered Attic / Nov 14 2017 4:52 am

So beautiful in the dark.

29. Curt Mekemson / Nov 14 2017 9:55 am

It’s always important to get to the bakery and stalk up before the blizzard hits! 🙂 –Curt

30. Alison and Don / Nov 14 2017 10:19 am

The photos say it all. Brrrrr. Reminds me of my years in the Yukon. Brrrrr. Here on the Wet Coast in Vancouver we have – you guessed it – Rain!
    Alison

31. Christie / Nov 15 2017 4:57 am

Nice photos Peggy, I love the first snow-snow (not wet snow LOL) of the season, when all turns white and clean. I like going out first thing in the morning to admire, before people, cars and dogs (haha) spoil the whiteness🙂 The last picture, when the sun was coming up, is simply lovely!

• leggypeggy / Nov 15 2017 8:42 am

Thanks so much, Christie. We’ve had snow then rain then slush, but it’s snowing again tonight and giving us a lovely white blanket! Maybe there will be another good pic in the morning. 🙂

32. artandkitchen / Nov 16 2017 11:28 pm

OMG! So impressive! Love the photos very much!

• leggypeggy / Nov 18 2017 9:47 am

Thanks Adrianna. So glad to know you’ll be there soon!