4 May 2021 / leggypeggy

A sleeping baby got me back to blogging

In the market in West Africa

Earlier this afternoon, a young African woman made my day. She was waiting to take money from an ATM at a nearby shopping centre in Canberra. She had her young son tied to her back in a most African way.

Pumping water with a baby on a hip/back

I couldn’t help myself. I approached—smiling broadly—and said I hadn’t seen anyone carrying a baby like that since I lived and travelled in Africa. Her little boy was contentedly asleep on her back, trussed up with a long length of cloth. I said I wished more people figured out how to do it. She returned my smile and said how efficient it was.

Going to market

She was pleased to know I’d been in Africa. We almost hugged—darn Covid—and then went our separate ways, but I regretted not asking her if I could take a photo. Not to worry, I have these photos from our extensive travels in Africa in 2019. It’s a few of many.

Child minding, African style

Today’s glimpse of my African travels was enough to finally kick me out of my long-term languish. You can read about my Covid-19 languish here. So I am posting here for the first time since 19 July 2020. Fingers crossed that I can stay inspired to keep going.

Going home after doing laundry

Thanks to the ‘new’ WordPress, I can’t find how to share categories or other useful details. Can anyone help?

1. Derrick / May 4 2021 9:37 pm

Carrying a baby on your back has to be safer than a pushchair, just shove the baby into the traffic when crossing the road (never understood that)

It’s certainly more efficient, leaves your hands free, just means you have hands free for lugging the shopping home, giving the other kids a slap or belting the ‘old man’ when he is a kip instead of working

These were nice pictures, we have all seen something similar on our travels in Africa (regardless of which county)

Liked by 3 people

• leggypeggy / May 4 2021 10:18 pm

Thanks Derrick. This technique does keep your hands free. Wish I’d know this when my kids were born.

• Derrick / May 4 2021 10:22 pm

TBH, I’m glad Anne didn’t

It was easier just having them in a pram (no push chairs back then)

Still my two made it out alive,

• leggypeggy / May 4 2021 10:31 pm

Oh gosh, you made me laugh. I never carried ours this way, and they made it out alive too. Hahahahaha

2. Sohair / May 4 2021 9:44 pm

Welcome back.. Great post 😊

3. Sheree / May 4 2021 9:46 pm

Glad you’ve refound your inspiration

4. naveenavijayan / May 4 2021 9:52 pm

Lovely photos! I am glad that they inspired to take to blogging again. Could relate to what you said about hoping that the inspiration stays on – I love that phase when writing, and the motivation to do so, comes ever so easily. No matter how much I try to follow a plan, blogging happens only in spurts. Now I have just learnt to ride with it. Hope your photographs keep your inspired to write! 🙂

• leggypeggy / May 4 2021 10:40 pm

Thanks so much. I have posted very regularly for many years, but the last 18 months have been a challenge. Here’s hoping it improves.

5. gigglingfattie / May 4 2021 9:54 pm

Welcome back Peggy! Glad to see your pictures again! I hope you’re right and this helps you to post more!

• leggypeggy / May 4 2021 10:19 pm

Thanks giggling. I’ve been good but languishing. Not sure why. Hope I’ve broken the mould.

• CURIOUStotheMAX / May 5 2021 4:37 am

Languishing is ok. Particularly in these tumultuous times. I think a good languish is well deserved.

6. beetleypete / May 4 2021 9:58 pm

Ron explains where to find categories and tags in his excellent video, Peggy.
    Or you can stick with Classic for now, by following this tip. I use it every day.
    So pleased to see you back. 🙂
    Best wishes, Pete.

• leggypeggy / May 4 2021 10:35 pm

Thanks Pete, I was hoping you could pass on good advice. Thanks to Ron too.

7. Carol Taloni / May 4 2021 10:07 pm

Hi Peggy

How wonderful to see you in my list of emails again. You have been missed!!!

Hope you and John are reasonably well.

It has certainly been a difficult year in 2020. Canberra has done reasonably well, in that mostly we self isolated. Outcomes have reflected the good results.

I have kept busy, done more reading than normal,researched lots of things. My iPad has been worked 24/7, with lots of enjoyment.

I had to cancel the Hearing Loss Management -Lip Reading Classes. I was talked into Zoom, and we had lots of talking, laughter, a little lip reading, but good for the hearing impaired to have a social connection.

How are your daughters and family coping? I know one daughter had been overseas.

Seeing a sight like you experienced with the mother carrying child, would bring back so many memories, as you have travelled vastly.

My Thanks to the Unknown Lady, for giving you the incentive to blog again.

Fondest Regards. Carol

• leggypeggy / May 4 2021 10:23 pm

Many thanks Carol. I wish I had asked her name and taken a picture. You would have loved her smile. But it really did kick me along to post. I have meant to for so long, but managed to avoid. Have done plenty of other stuff—cooked bread, cleaned cupboards etc.
      Petra is home from Vietnam. Mostly we’re great. Hope you are too.

8. oldandblessed / May 4 2021 10:07 pm

Inspiration for blogging comes from the darnedest places. I too have a bit of a challenge staying revved up to write, and to write daily as I like. Sometimes, I just think my observational powers aren’t up to muster.

• leggypeggy / May 4 2021 10:26 pm

Oh wow, I could never write daily. Maybe very second day or so. Hope you find your mojo.

9. lexbartlem / May 4 2021 10:09 pm

That’s beautiful Peggy, thanks x. More please …

• leggypeggy / May 4 2021 10:24 pm

Thanks Lex, hope you can find your way to us sometime soon.

10. fragglerocking / May 4 2021 10:39 pm

Nice to see you back Peggy, and with some cracking photos!

11. Sherry Thomas / May 4 2021 11:03 pm

Yahoo…did I say YAHOO!

Sent from my iPad

12. gerard oosterman / May 4 2021 11:04 pm

Nice to read your post, Peggy. Helvi travelled back to Finland once with our youngest on her back in a papoose which was featured in a KLM magazine some 50 years ago. I see sometimes mothers strapping their babies at the front of their bodies.

Liked by 3 people

• leggypeggy / May 4 2021 11:08 pm

So glad you have seen the same—front or back.

13. ralietravels / May 4 2021 11:12 pm

Welcome back. It is nice to see you are posting again.
    Like Gerard above, I wonder about the pros and cons of back vs. front. First Americans [a.k.a., Native Americans] also carried their children in a “papoose”, a bag or woven basket on their backs.
    I also have problems with the new WordPress: I miss the way “classic” handled photos and captions.

• leggypeggy / May 5 2021 11:04 am

I miss the classic, but hope I can adjust to the new. I call it the Blockhead.

14. Lynette d'Arty-Cross / May 4 2021 11:31 pm

Great to see you posting again! Yes, this pandemic has had strange effects in many strange ways. You obviously just needed to sit with this until the right push came along. Welcome back!

15. Bama / May 4 2021 11:44 pm

Hi Peggy. This is a beautiful example of how a mundane encounter can bring back fond memories from our travels. Speaking of the new WordPress, I also don’t quite like how it works now. But my suggestion is for you to open your classic dashboard (usually by adding /wp-admin/ at the end of your blog URL). Then when editing a post, you can add &classic-editor at the end of the editing page URL. It works for me, I hope it works for you too.

16. Gail’s Snapshotsincursive / May 5 2021 12:12 am

It’s good to see (and hear) through the blog again. Inspirational. 🌟✨💫

17. Bienvenidos!

18. Yeah, Another Blogger / May 5 2021 1:47 am

Welcome back, Peggy.

19. SandyL / May 5 2021 3:20 am

Hi Peggy. Glad to found your blog & great to have you blogging again.
    On how to share categories – I went you your website, selected a category & then copied the url . Is this what you wanted? https://leggypeggy.com/category/africa/

20. Phyllis Gaetz / May 5 2021 4:33 am

Yeah! Missed you! Beautiful pictures in time for Mother’s Day..that last picture of the family on the bicycle was scary though!❤️

• leggypeggy / May 5 2021 11:14 am

Oh wow, that’s for mentioning Mother’s Day. That hadn’t occurred to me. Maybe I can go with a theme this week. As for the motorbike—we often saw four or even five on a bike! Once saw a baby in a bucket hanging from the handlebars.

21. CURIOUStotheMAX / May 5 2021 4:39 am

I think we all need to rest in a baby sling. The difficulty is finding one big enough to carry the weight I’ve put on during Covid isolation.

22. Chris Riley / May 5 2021 6:54 am

I read your link to, languishing. Now I have a name for my condition! I didn’t even know I had a condition – how about that. But I am definitely languishing. The inability to focus and concentrate is a real buggar. Perhaps my first step back is actually commented on someone’s blog – I rarely do that these days. In fact I rarely even read blogs anymore. Languishing most definitely….

• leggypeggy / May 5 2021 11:16 am

I didn’t know I had the condition until I came upon the article. Hope you find a way out of your languish.

23. mistermuse / May 5 2021 7:41 am

The baby-on-the-back method is undoubtedly the best way for a mother to carry her baby….until they find a way to crossbreed humans and kangaroos.

P.S Welcome back!

24. Gilda Baxter / May 5 2021 7:50 am

Welcome back Peggy, it is good to take a break, but lovely to have you back 😄

• leggypeggy / May 5 2021 11:17 am

I think I took more than a break. Now to keep going.

25. Vicki / May 5 2021 10:55 am

Good to hear you’re back to blogging, Peggy. Welcome back. I’ve missed your wonderful posts.

I love the way Africans carry their babies and it reminds me so much of my best friend carrying her first baby across her front as she cooked and did the household chores (yes, the baby got a bird’s eye view of cooking (briefly) and light household tasks). Now, I can only wonder if my grown-up Goddaughter, who had HER first baby last December, carried her newborn the way her mother carried her some 30+ years ago.

• leggypeggy / May 5 2021 11:19 am

Oh Vicki, it’s great to hear from you too. I’ve been meaning to send you an email to find out how you are going. But pesky languish got in my way. You should send your Goddaughter a link to this. 🙂

26. Dorothy / May 5 2021 2:55 pm

Nice to see a new blog from you Peggy. I carried my first son like that too. My Mother objected strongly when we were home in Scotland for a holiday. She thought it was bad for my back.

• leggypeggy / May 5 2021 3:38 pm

Great to hear from you Dorothy. I can imagine your mother objected. If only she knew!

27. Emma Cownie / May 5 2021 4:53 pm

Hi Peggy, I missed you and your travels. I think we are all suffering from Covid Languish, I know I am. I need to get out more with my camera.

28. Sharon Bonin-Pratt / May 5 2021 5:42 pm

I’ve been off the grid for much of this year as well, so it’s nice to get back to a charming post about mothers and kids.

As for WordPress’ new format – I hate it. I was barely able to post an article. Used to be so easy.

• leggypeggy / May 5 2021 6:21 pm

I checked your blog recently to see if I had missed something. As for WP’s ‘BlockHead’ editor, scroll up to near the top for Beetley Pete’s comment. It has some very useful links.

29. tony / May 5 2021 10:23 pm

Good to see you’re back and what inspired it!

• leggypeggy / May 5 2021 10:43 pm

Thanks Tony. I can still see that woman with her baby in my mind’s eye.

30. lexklein / May 6 2021 12:58 am

I need to look for similar inspiration! Or maybe, like yours, it will randomly pop up someday and push me to resurrect my poor languishing blog!

On another note, as a new grandmother, I am appreciating all sorts of new and old mothering techniques these days; even here in the U.S., things have changed so much since I was a new mom. I like that in some ways, the current generation of new parents is going back to some basics, and the baby-carrying styles here are a great example of simple and sensible solutions that have sparked the creation of some cool new products.

• leggypeggy / May 6 2021 7:42 am

Congratulations on becoming a new grandmother. Your blog might languish, but you won’t.

31. Curt Mekemson / May 6 2021 4:38 am

Wow, Peggy, welcome back to the world of blogging! I followed your adventures in Africa. It was almost guaranteed since I had lived there. You’ve been missed. Here’s to hoping Covid decides to behave itself so you can get back out having adventures. You’ve been missed. –Curt

• leggypeggy / May 6 2021 7:43 am

Thanks Curt, I’ve missed blogging too, but have had fun watching everyone else do the hard yards. Now for me to maintain the enthusiasm.

• Curt Mekemson / May 7 2021 9:19 am

It’s work, that’s for sure! And you have been missed but I have always appreciated your continued support and comments! I am beginning to contemplate taking the summer off to focus on my bear book. –Curt

• leggypeggy / May 7 2021 12:56 pm

Blogging takes a lot of work. Good luck on the book.

32. Forestwood / May 6 2021 9:46 pm

So happy you found your Mojo again Peggy. I was wondering why there was nothing new here when I came to visit. It looks like your loyal followers are still keen to read and comment, if the number of comments here indicate anything.
    As for the excellent photos, I love sarong papooses or whatever you call them. Eminently practical! Especially for unsettled babies.
    I would love to know how the little one managed to get the baby in it. Do they place the baby inside after they have wrapped the fabric around their own body or place the baby on the wrap and then attach both to themselves? Clearly it is a technique that is beyond me, though I did try it with my kids. I found things with wheels worked better! My kids loved movement.

• leggypeggy / May 6 2021 10:47 pm

Hope I can keep going. As for the slings, the baby goes on first. I imagine the young girl pictured above had help, but it is fascinating to watch the ease with which a mother can hoist an infant on her back and proceed to wrap it snuggly into place.

33. Miriam / May 6 2021 10:50 pm

What a lovely interaction. I used to carry my kids on my front in a baby sling. It was super efficient. Good to see you back blogging again!

• leggypeggy / May 6 2021 10:51 pm

Hi Miriam, it’s great to be back. I carried my girls on my front in a sling. Wish I’d know this way too.

34. Yahooey / May 7 2021 4:48 am

I had to do a lot of scrolling to add my “Welcome Back.”

There is a woman in the neighbourhood that does the back sling. She is easy to spot because she usually has two or three older children with her. For a while, we also had a woman that would carry her shopping home on her head which was the first time I had seen that done here in France.

• leggypeggy / May 7 2021 6:47 am

Hello Yahooey, I’m glad the baby carrying practice is seen outside Africa. And you’ve inspired me for another post. People carry things on their head. Thank you.

35. Alison and Don / May 7 2021 6:53 am

Welcome back Peggy! Please keep going. I always enjoy your posts, including this one. I long to get back to Africa. I’ve a few more posts about local stuff I want to do and then if I can’t ravel again at that point (most likely) I’m going to finally blog about that overland trip I did through Africa back in 1980!
    Looking forward to your posts again!
    Alison

• leggypeggy / May 7 2021 7:02 am

Thanks Alison. Not sure why I languished for so long, but hope it’s behind me. Like you I long to return to Africa. I wonder when that might be? Look forward to your African tales. I have enough old material to keep me writing for years. Now to just do it.

36. chattykerry / May 7 2021 7:38 am

Welcome back, Peggy! How I have missed your blogs. The pandemic has taken so much from us. My heavily pregnant hairdresser had to ask me if she could have a hug. Lovely post and pics. I miss the airport with the wonderfully attired travelers from Africa and central America.

• leggypeggy / May 7 2021 12:58 pm

Thanks Kerry. Luckily I have been able to enjoy your posts. Now to keep going on mine. Loads of virtual hugs to you.

37. indianeskitchen / May 7 2021 2:23 pm

Nice to se you back Peggy. I still use the classic editor and I have read next year I have to change. It may be the end of my blogging too as I tried it once and was lost.

38. Murray Foote / May 8 2021 3:30 pm

I still use the Classic Editor, at least until forced otherwise. The Blockhead Editor is not designed for the posts we make with comments on each image. They say the Classic Editor is due to be replaced but they may underestimate the level of complaints that would cause. Here is a WordPress post on how to switch to the Classic Editor: https://wordpress.com/support/classic-editor-guide/

However, the easy way is to copy one of your old posts then delete and replace the content. You may need to set the Dashboard Appearance toggle first as per the article though.

• leggypeggy / May 8 2021 5:39 pm

Thank so much for these tips, Murray. I might have a go at a new post tonight.

39. Jolandi Steven / May 10 2021 6:57 am